Wednesday, 21 March 2012

Comfort Food in a Truck


The last couple days have been jam-packed full with blog worthy events and thus I haven’t had the ability to reveal the decision behind my chosen name: Gastronomical Adventurer. You might be wondering why that name? It’s quite the mouth full, and more recently it has been brought to my attention, it has the word ‘gas’ in it, thus possibly not making it very marketable. I’ll break it down for you. Gastronomy is defined by the Merriam Webster dictionary as “the art or science of good eating”. That’s exactly what it is! The art is the ability of food to stir emotions, memories and excite the senses. The science, the facts are solid biological ingredients that meld together to form the perfect concoction.  Gastronomy allows for the discovery of food for what it truly is, what it’s meant to be and the emotional connection between every unique dish. Adventurer is the all-encompassing word that describes my travels around the world, first attempts at new recipes and remarkable experiences in restaurants. 

So there it is, the meaning behind the name. The picture of me, well that I will claim as my trademark. I have countless pictures like that, biting into a new food experience. This one is one of my favorites because it is one of my favorite North American comfort foods, a grilled cheese sandwich.  It is the epitome of comfort food.  It is the go to meal for those cold blistering rainy days (that happens often here in Vancouver), when you’re rendered ill because of a nasty cold or you’re just too lazy to cook yourself a multi-ingredient meal. Either way, the grilled cheese has come a long way from your mom’s kitchen. Chefs alike have been revamping these simple basics of bread and cheese.  Those grilled cheese sandwiches I’m holding in that picture come from a local food truck: Mom’s Grilled Cheese Truck on Howe Street in Vancouver by the Art Gallery. 

Mom's Grilled Cheese Truck in action
In the right hand I’m holding The Jackson 3. A phenomenal sandwich stacked with 3 layers of gargantuan sized fresh sourdough bread and between the layers, a trio of rich, gooey and luxuriously melted Brie, Boursin and Gruyere. I was really excited about this sandwich because I love all those cheeses but I just love cheese and to me this was an epic sandwich. I mean every bite was absolutely perfect. The crunch of the bread and the creaminess of the combined cheeses made for an unadulterated experience! Please don’t hold back, go line up with the businessmen, lawyers, hipsters and families, everyone deserves to indulge in this legendary sandwich at least once.  But I promise you, you will never forget The Jackson 3!

In the left hand is one of Mom’s Classics. With Mom’s Classics, you choose the type of bread, cheese and whether you would like to add on another ingredient. I chose the marbled rye, cheddar and sliced red onions. It definitely was a classic. The marbled rye had its own vibrant flavor that perfectly gelled with the sharpness of the melted cheddar and the sweetness of the red onions harmonized the entire sandwich. 

Each sandwich comes with a pickle and homemade chips. The portions are worth every penny and the people at Mom’s Grilled Cheese Truck are amazingly friendly! They attempt to get to know you in the short time you interact with them.  You can’t miss this truck, its turquoise green in colour, with an image of a mom handing you a grilled cheese sandwich with a pickle on top! Go out; get your comfort food, go to Mom’s Grilled Cheese Truck.

No comments: