Just recently I came across a pretty fantastic food blog called
Pinch of Yum. It inspired me to make a classic breakfast dish that I completely
forgot about.......Parmesan Baked Eggs! How could I forget such a sumptuous
dish?!?! I don't know how it happened but it won't happen again, I promise. It
was ironic that I stumbled across this blog as I was looking for another
creative egg recipe to do for the weekend. The incredible combination of herbs
and runny egg yolk can only be described as a beautiful union. My absolute
favorite type of egg is sunny side up as it allows for the ideal duo of the
healthy egg white and runny egg yolk. What better way to put a spin on a basic
than adding addicting herbs and robust red onion!!!
Pinch of Yum's
recipe can be found here:
![]() |
| Healthy Parmesan Baked Eggs |
I adjusted this recipe to make it healthier by substituting
margarine for the butter, almond milk for the cream and egg whites for the
second egg. Due to the ingredients in my house (as it was a spontaneous
decision to make this dish), I substituted red onion for the shallots (roughly
the same amount), used light grated parmesan cheese, used dried thyme and
rosemary and added 1 TBSP fresh basil. Lindsay (author of Pinch of Yum) was correct,
timing is everything for this dish. I was extremely nervous that I would over cook
the eggs with the 7 minute allotment however, they ended up being drastically
undercooked, so I cooked them for another 5 minutes and then switched over to
the exact same broiler time. I figured it was due to the multiple differences:
the oven, ingredients and possibly ramekin size. All of those required me to
make a time adjustment.
![]() |
| Gastronomical Adventurer digging into the yolk-y goodness! |


No comments:
Post a Comment